Final Pre-Viz

Friday 5 March 2010


This is my final pre-viz. I know there are mistakes that need to be polished, especially camera work and montage. I disagree with Phil, that there are a lot of cross dissolves. I think, they give smoothness to the story. In my opinion, it is not good pre-viz, however I know it works. Because, audience feel the emotional message of this story and understand its sadness and beauty. Of course this is not Hollywood and I am not Spielberg.

If you have something to add, please do it.

This project was difficult. I had many problems with character design, which was not successful. But I think, after practice and understanding of human anatomy I will be able to draw normal characters. No matter how difficult 'unit 4' was I am pleased with it, because I have learned something new: storyboarding, editing (theory), camera work (theory and practical part)…

Thanks to our tutors: Phil & Alan.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I actually agree - I think the cross dissolves give the whole piece a more fluid and 'balletic' feel... which goes well with the whole feel of the story.

tutorphil said...

'Cross-Dissolves' ... let the debate commence!

My 'issue' with cross-dissolves is that often they're used to fuse together shots that have not been planned effectively; for instance, if you think about 'invisible editing' - wherein the 'cut' is disappeared because there is an 'in-shot' connection between the two scenes (for instance, when the movement of a character's head in long shot is matched to a corresponding head movement in a close-up...) - the direction must be planned out with a clear understanding of the order of shots. Students often use cross-dissolves to 'blend' shots together that otherwise have no 'connective tissue' - which sometimes signals a lack of overall direction. I am not saying this is true for the totality of your film, Alex - I just think that you used them rather 'indiscriminately' - like a varnish to gel separate pieces together...

anewman said...

Phil, I will not debate with you. First of all, I will lose. Secondly, you have more experience, knowledge and understanding than I have. Finally, I need listen to you - you are my tutor and what is the point of tutors if I don't listen them.

I understand and next time I will re-think every shot and use them more wisely.

Alan Postings said...

Hi Alex,

I think your right in saying that the camera work needs finess. There is a rough diamond on show - With some cleaning and polishing this could become a real gem.

Post a Comment